|I heart Beets and Fennel|
Happy Father's Day.
You know that the father of your children really, really loves you when he sends a daily email with recipes that HE wants you to make! Every day I can count on an email from him. He and I also communicate through email subject lines instead of texting. WHY? because!
Many of the the recipes he sends are desserts. We have desserts nightly! Desserts is stressed spelled backwards and what a better way to De-stress than with dessert. So what does this have to do with Beets and fennel???? Several months ago he sent me a salad recipe. It has become a favorite in our home.
The email recipe was pretty darn fancy, not only did it call for fancy stuff like fennel, it also had shallots, grapefruit and oranges. The first time I made it, I followed the recipe to the "T" and it cost me $20. That is a lot of money for a salad. I have tweeked it by changing and decreasing some of the ingredients. Now I have made it Original! We all love it.
Beets and Fennel are good for you! Fennel is excellent for your digestion and beets will help your prostate if you are lucky enough to have one! Happy Fathers Day!
Roasted Beet, Fennel, and Citrus Salad
- 3 large beets roasted wrapped in foil like a baked potato in oven 400 degrees for 45 min or until done make sure you put it on a cookie sheet....can make a big red mess! When cooled peel, slice thin, cut in half .
- 1 medium orange cut in segments, no pith, no peel
- 1 ruby red grapefruit cut in segments, no pith, no peel
- 1 med. bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly slice
Whisk together and pour on Salad
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil ( can use oil of choice..olive...canola etc)
- 3 tbp white balsamic vinegar ( can use 3 Tbp white wine vinegar with 2 tsp sweetner of choice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- juice from the orange and grapefruit that may be left over!
Serve over Greens or not!
I am not a professional so I don't have Nutritional information to share, but by the looks of it, I would say it is healthy and gluten free!
|Happy Healthy Fathers Day to you, Tom!|